Big thanks to The Scene DMV for this great profile of Fatback DC on their video blog. Check out the video of some good times from our January party at Dahlak.
Every month, Fatback throws down a nasty funk fest in honor of sweaty pork, and a lot goes into that. The right vibe. The best people. Power Jamz. The gear. The invitations. The BBQ sauce. The mixes. The blog posts. The pig snorts. The love. Etc. Etc. One thing we always do too, is make a pretty flier to capture some of the weird and ridiculous energy all bottled up inside us anticipating the next sweat fest. Some people actually really like our fliers. Well, we do too. So here is a look back at Fatback year 5 fliers.
Don’t forget we are having a party - The Last Bite
At its roots, Fatback’s musical sensibilities lean heavily on funk and soul; a couple of pretty general terms that can conjure up many different ideas for many people. But on everyone’s Venn diagram, Aretha Franklin resides smack dab in the union of those two fantastic circles.
The daughter of a preacher man, she first gained fame as a rafter raising gospel singer in Detroit, before pointing her prodigious instrument toward the heights of the pop and R&B charts. (Her 1972 double platinum album Amazing Grace remains not only the best selling album of her career, but the best selling “pure gospel” album of all time.)
While she is best known throughout the galaxy for turning Otis Redding’s “Respect” into one of the most recognizable and best loved soul burners ever, Fatback fans know The Queen of Soul for her many contributions to the party. Here are a few favorites…
1967: Chain of Fools
1967: Save Me
1968: I Say A Little Prayer
1971: Rock Steady
1980: What A Fool Believes
1982: Jump To It
1983: Get It Right
1985: Freeway of Love
1986: Jumpin’ Jack Flash
You can bet your last money, that you’ll hear some of these and more at our 5 Year Anniversary and Grand Finale, February 16th at Liv.
(PRO TIP: Take a trip to your local record monger/mp3 retailer and pick up Aretha Franklin’s stunning 1971 album “Live at Fillmore West”, with King Curtis, Billy Preston and Ray Charles among the supporting personnel. She casts a brilliant spell over the crowd with a set consisting of her own music and covers of Stephen Stills, Diana Ross, the Beatles, and Simon and Garfunkel songs.)
With a mere two weeks to go until the final Fatback bash we have been spending every spare moment in training. Bacon in the morning. Bacon at night. Bacon toothpaste. Bacon underwear. Bacon weights in our shoes… you get the idea, BACON EVERYTHING. Last weekend the crew ventured out to a training camp deep in the Caucasus Mountains to study with our spiritual gurus. Here’s a clip of how it want down.
After five long years of bacon-infused, high-heart-rate dancing, the Fatback medical team has given us an ultimatum: cut back on the pork and partying or risk dying a deliciously, salty, sweaty, death on the dance floor. Naturally, we chose the latter, but at the insistence of loved ones and Fatbacks expected bid for the Presidency in 2016, we are going on a diet.
After February 2013, the Fatback DJs will no longer be convening our regular funkathon, held at Liv nightclub. We will celebrate the end of thismonthly tradition and the beginnings of new things for us at our annual birthday party, held February 16th. Join as we takeover the whole Liv/Bohemian Caverns building on 11th and U for one final, funky blow-out.
10pm - 3am
Saturday, Feb. 16th
2001 11th St. NW, Washington, DC
We’re doing things a little different this month… Read on.
5 years ago, in a small Eritrean restaurant on U St called Dahlak, Fatback was born. Once a month, we’d clear the tables from the dining room, set up our turntables and dance until the windows fogged over. Drunk nightwalkers stumbling down from AdMo would peer in and wonder aloud (I quote) “What the f*ck is going on in there?!” Of course, you couldn’t blame them… After all, they were staring at a room of sweaty people smacking tambourines, wearing Mardi Gras masks and clapping in unified joy with the electric music that burned through the night air. Those were heady times, rich with purpose and perspiration. It was also contagious. As word spread the party grew in scale, outgrowing Dahlak and a larger venue before reaching the thousand person dimensions it now sustains. So as we prepare to put the Fatback party to rest in next month’s grand finale, we thought it fitting to do one more jam, lean and funky, at the place where it all started.
I mean to tell you, this month’s Fatback is gonna be something special… We’re looking for only the most dedicated, hand-clapping, foot-stomping, tambourine-shaking soul dancers who aren’t afraid to break a sweat and break it down. It’s a tight space and there won’t be any room for wall flowers. Quite literally.
Take a trip with us a few blocks west & a few calendars back and let’s do it like we used to.
IMPORTANT! We will be at Dahlak: 1771 U Street NW DC. The party is NOT at Liv this week.
Fatback at Dahlak (1771 U St NW)
January 19, 2013
10pm - 3am
$5 gets you through the portal and into special surprises all night.
RSVP on Facebook
ALSO we got this month’s mix cooked up by Sean Peoples. Wut! Wut!
Welcome to the new year it’s time to replace that bogus Mayan calendar on your wall and get your funk motor warmed up for a new year of dancing. Let’s start it off the Fatback way with a stone cold jam from a band hailing from just across the river in Virginia and a dope remix / edit all the way from down under Australia!
The slamming OG version from 1976!
The remix from 2011.
This track is included in a recent mix from Fatback DJ KC.
Hope to see you at the next and last two monthly Fatback events at Liv!
Join KC & Steven at Tropicalia (14th & U Sts NW, below the Subway sandwich joint) on December 28th for some international flavored jams as they join the No BS Brass Band for a smokin’ show to heat up a midwinter’s night.
Early Doors: 8 PM
Show Starts: 9 PM
Here’s a little something for your hips to work with through the holidays. Our old chums (James, Stevie, Michael, Otis…) left some familiar chestnuts, while some Fatback noobs dropped off some jams to make sure they got in before the New Year. We’ve even got some tunes for our friends celebrating the Festival of Lights.
1. The Christmas Massacre of Charlie Brown (excerpt)- DJ John
2. Merry Christmas, Baby- Otis Redding
3. White Christmas- The Drifters
4. Cool Yule- Louis Armstrong
5. Run Rudolph Run - Chuck Berry
6. Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town (Q-Burns Abstract Message Remix) - Johnny Mercer
7. What Christmas Means To Me - Stevie Wonder
8. Santa Claus - Wain Nelson
9. Christmas Boogie - Sugar Chile Robinson
10. Christmas Day - Detroit Junior
11. Reggae Christmas - The Gable School Choir
12. Richman For Christmas - Lady Saw
13. Dreidel - Erran Baron Cohen (feat. Jules Brookes)
14. Santa Claus and His Old Lady (excerpt) - Cheech & Chong
15. Up On The House Top - The Jackson 5
16. I’ve Got My Love To Keep Me Warm (Stuhr Remix) - Kay Starr
17. Motown Christmas - mojochronic
18. Everyones A Kid At Christmas Time - Stevie Wonder
19. Christmas Celebration - B.B. King
20. Xmas Baby - Riff Ruffin
21. House Of Klezmer (edit) - FAROFF
22. Hey America (It’s Christmastime) - James Brown
23. Soul Santa - Funk Machine
24. Little Drummer Bwoy- ARP
25. (Everybody’s Waitin’ For) The Man With The Bag [Thunderball Mix] - Kay Starr
26. Carol Of The Burgers - Voicedude
27. Blitzkrieg Santa (The Ramones vs. Michael Jackson) - Divide & Kreate
28. Whoville (Won’t Get Yuled Again) - mojochronic
29. Rudolph (You Don’t Have To Put On The Red Light) - mojochronic
30. Have a Merry Christmas - The Heavy Beat Crew
This Saturday, come on down to Fatback at Liv (11th & U Sts. NW DC) for more holiday jams in addition to our usual funky shenanigans. 10pm til your sleigh runs out of gas.
Come on down to Liv (11th & U Sts. NW) on Saturday the 15th and jingle your bells with us! Only three Fatbaxx left! Now’s your chance to make it count!
10PM to 3AM
Dress to shake it!
Two more hours of the funky jams you know you love and didn’t know you loved, sliced and diced by KC in the Fatback Basement. TURN UP THE STEREO AND GET A LITTLE FREAKAAAY
|From Fatback 12/08|
TRACK TITLE - ARTIST
1)THE TARDIS DR. WHO - SCIENCE FICTION SOUNDS
2) DR. WHO - TV THEME PLAYERS
3) LET IT ALL HANG OUT - B.B. CUNNINGAM JR.
4) PEACE FROG - THE DOORS
5) BANG IT ON - GAMM ALL-STARS
6) DO YOUR THING - BASEMENT JAXX
7) MAS QUE NADA (FEAT. HELENA MENDES) - GREGOR SALTO
8 ) SAYS ALRIGHT - DERRADJI, JEROME
9) YOU AND I - RICK JAMES
10_ JUNGLE LOVE - THE TIME
11) BREAKIN’…THERE’S NO STOPPING US - OLLIE & JERRY
12) DISCO INSERT (REMIX) - GROOVE ARMADA
13) BOM BOM - SAM AND THE WOMP
14) JALAKO ONYOONO PAKA - OWINEY SIGMA BAND
15) BALLERO (LIVE - SINGLE VERSION) - WAR
16) RING MY BELL - ANITA WARD
17) MOTOWNPHILLY (ORIGINAL VERSION) - BOYZ II MEN
18) SHAKE IT TO THE GROUND - DJ BLAQSTARR
19) JAM ON IT - NEWCLEUS
20) LET IT WHOOMP - DJ TWISTER
21) DOUBLE DUTCH BUS - FRANKIE SMITH
22) ONE NATION-VOCAL - PARLAMENT_REMIXED BY TIMMY REGISFORD AND ADAM RIOS
23) I LOVE MUSIC - THE O’JAYS
24) FIGHT THE POWER (PART 1 & 2) - THE ISLEY BROTHERS
25) LET’S GROOVE - EARTH WIND & FIRE
26) LIVIN FOR THE WEEKEND (JSKI EXTENDED) - O’JAYS
27) SEPTEMBER - EARTH, WIND & FIRE
28) MY LOVE IS FREE - DOUBLE EXPOSURE
29) O-H-I-O - OHIO PLAYERS
30) DANCE ACROSS THE FLOOR - JIMMY ‘BO’ HORNE
31) THE BIG BANG THEORY - PARLIAMENT
32) BLAME IT ON THE BOOGIE - THE JACKSONS
33) BODY WORK - HOT STREAK
34) KEEP ON WALKIN’ - CE CE PENISTON
35) RING RING RING (HA HA HEY) - DE LA SOUL
36) DROP PLUNKY & ONENESS
37) AWARD TOUR (EXTENDED MIX) - A TRIBE CALLED QUEST
38) SUPERNATURAL THING, PT. 1 - BEN E. KING
39) DOWN UNDER - MEN AT WORK
Hold on to your burgers people, like the Mayan calendar, Fatback returns this Saturday for a race to the end. Only 4 more Fatbacks at Liv. Yes we added a date in February so we could squeeeeeeeeze in one more Tenderloins party for the lovers out there.
|From Fatback November 2012|
A little electoral funk to warm your headphones while you stand in line.